17040 El Camino Real
Suite 400

Houston, TX 77058
Telephone: 281-486-5066
Fax: 281-486-2041

LC Rating

Petition for Paternity in Galveston

In some situations, the fatherhood of a child is unclear or contested. Extramarital affairs or other situations may lead to questions about who the biological father of a child is, and attaining a paternity test to prove fatherhood is sometimes necessary for legal purposes.

If you need to petition for paternal rights to a child in a Galveston court, Wilfried P. Schmitz & Associates, P.C. can help.

When Do You Need to File a Complaint to Establish Paternity?

A petition for paternity, also called a parentage action or paternity suit, is a legal proceeding to officially deem a man as the father of a minor child. They may be filed for several reasons:

  • The alleged father wishes to seek custody or visitation of a child.
  • A mother seeks child support from the alleged father.
  • The state seeks reimbursement for public assistance.
  • A child seeks to establish a parental relationship.

Once a paternity suit has been filed, the alleged father has three options for responding:

  • He may allow the court to declare him the father.
  • He may contest the allegations.
  • He may request a DNA test to confirm.

Galveston Family Law Attorney

In order to file or defend a paternity suit, you will need a family law lawyer. An attorney like Wilfried P. Schmitz can help ensure that all paperwork is filed correctly and provide legal counsel on the process from beginning to end. We will also stand by you in court, if necessary, to protect your rights and help you through what can be a tumultuous and confusing process. Contact us today to learn more or schedule a consultation.

Call 281-486-5066 to arrange a consultation about parental rights or other family law questions.

Texas Board of Legal Specialization

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Phone Number

Your Email (required)


Your Message